reciProfity comes pre-loaded with categories.
You can also add your own with a food cost % in any category
If you prefer to use a global food cost or margin % please read this.
Each recipe can be associated with a Primary Category and multiple Secondary Categories.
Set your categories and their options in The Optimizer:
- Why should I create a food cost % or margin % for a category?
Your costs on coffee, cocktails, beer, and soft drinks should hover around 10-20% (wine is usually higher), and appetizers and desserts are almost pure profit. As long as you're selling enough of them, those items will pull your average food cost back to 30%. So in your Category settings you can keep your target food costs for Entrees at 40% but drop the Appetizers and Desserts to 15-20%.
- Every business is different so it's completely up to you. Take a look at this article about menu costing strategies for more information about food costing best practices.
- You can also add more categories to be used as secondary categories, to group recipes by service period (brunch, lunch, dinner, all day), by cuisine type, or by special needs (vegetarian, vegan, gluten-free, etc...).
- Associate this recipe with a Primary category:
- The Primary Category food cost % (dessert at 28%) will be used to calculate your Target Food Cost %.
- If your Actual Food Cost % exceeds your target we highlight that in red.
- You can go back and either change the selling price or change your ingredients.