Conversions are a power tool for financial accuracy!
This is what Conversions do:
- Lets you convert weight to volume and volume to weight.
- Calculates yield % and shrinkage, which can have the effect of changing the actual cost of your item
First check the Book of Yields pull down to locate your ingredient. Here is how:
2. Go to the Conversion section:
click + Add Book of Yields Conversion
3. Type in the ingredient name* If you find a match you may see several choices.
* You may need to be creative, for example if you type cheese you will not see mozzarella.
Type mozzarella and you will.
If your item is not found in The Book of Yields add it manually.
If you do find your item, the first in the list is the actual item as a whole.
Additional items are usually the prep. In this example we have cauliflower, and the prep of Cut 1" florets.
Choosing the first conversion is for cauliflower trimmed and cleaned.
4. A whole head of cauliflower is approximately 30 oz, but once you've trimmed and cleaned it the yield is only 60%.
You've lost 30% of that cauliflower!!
The cost of that item will reflect this new yield. It's no longer 100% now it's a 60% yield.
And your after shrinkage price will now be used in recipes
5. Click in the + Add Book of Yields Conversion again and type cauliflower. Now choose the second option Cauliflower, Cut 1" flors
After trimming and cleaning and accounting for the shrinkage The Book of Yields is calculating both a weight to volume and volume to weight conversion for use in recipes.
These conversions let you use either weight or volume units of measure in your recipes!
6. When you are in Ingredient View Mode you will see Conversions appear this way:
If you are adding your own conversion then here's what you'll need to do.
Let's start easy:
1. Click the +Add Manual Conversion button
1. Shrinkage Only
In this example we purchase butter by the lb, use it by the lb and have a 5% shrinkage.
Why 5%? Think about how much butter is left on the paper, cutting board, utensils, etc. You can lose 5%.
- Enter 1 lb in the There Are field (you purchase by the lb)
- Enter lb in the Per field (there are 1 lb per lb)
- Then enter 95 in the Yield field (this is a 5% shrinkage)
We calculate the cost field for you.
With a 95% yield we get only .95 lbs instead of a full 1 lb, and a price of $2.692 a lb instead of $2.557.
We'll use the after shrinkage price of $2.692 in your recipes.
2. Converting weight to volume AND a Yield %.
In this example we purchase butter by the lb but we want to use it in a recipe by the cup and calculate a 95% yield.
- In the There are field you'll tell us how many cups of butter there are in a pound (2 cups)
- In the Per field you'll enter lb (there are 2 cups per pound)
- In the Yield% field you'll enter the yield after any loss or shrinkage
reciProfity now can calculate any weight or volume usage in your recipes. You do NOT have to enter any other conversions.
In addition you can see the new after shrinkage price:
In Ingredient View mode you will see this: